Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Heaven Meets Earth Like an Unforeseen Kiss

How He Loves Us

He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.
When all of a sudden,
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory,
And I realise just how beautiful You are,
And how great Your affections are for me.

And oh, how He loves us so,
Oh how He loves us,
How He loves us all

Yeah, He loves us,
Oh! how He loves us,
Oh! how He loves us,
Oh! how He loves.

We are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes,
If grace is an ocean, we’re all sinking.
And Heaven meets earth like an unforeseen kiss,
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest,
I don’t have time to maintain these regrets,
When I think about, the way…

Click for video


My Comments

When this song came on at the Rock and Worship Roadshow last Friday night, a noticeable difference fell over the people listening. True, we were all recovering from Family Force 5. The difference, however, was more then just a hush falling over the crowd. It was a special kind of silence. Peaceful and free, I think are the best words I can use. Hundreds and hundreds of people in the Idaho Center stopped and just listened and sang. David Crowder was alone with his guitar, no flashing lights, no blaring speakers. Just a crazy-haired guy with an acoustic, raising his voice in worship.


The simple power of the profound meaning behind the words in the song was tangible.


Colin

5 comments:

  1. Oh that song is awesome! Ministers to me every time. Did they change sloppy wet kiss to unforseen kiss?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie-
    Isn't it great? :)
    After some quick research, it looks like John McMillan (who originally wrote it) has it as 'sloppy wet kiss' along with a whole other verse, while David Crowder (merely covering the song) got rid of the final verse and changed 'sloppy wet' to 'unforeseen'.
    I didn't actually know that! Thanks for the tip :)
    I think I like 'sloppy wet kiss' more...but David Crowder did do a great job of covering the song, so kudos to him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like sloppy wet kiss better too. I didn't know if it was cuz that's the way I know it or what. That phrase paints quit the word picture! Have you seen Kim Walker doing it at the Jesus Culture? Amazing! Dorry first introduced me to this almost three years ago and Kona and I would play it over and over and never got sick of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'sloppy wet' is sloppy lyricism and not in keeping with the tone. but 'unforeseen' doesn't carry with it the poetic weight everyone seems to think it does.
    i understand everyone loves this song, but i can't get over the change in person in the last two lines of the first verse! it's completely unnecessary! i wouldn't cringe everytime if it read instead ".. beautiful He is" and "... His affections"...
    and why are we sinking if grace is an ocean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. To "Anonymous": Changing the person like that is a technique frequently used in psalms. It reflects the way you start out thinking to yourself and then start talking to God, sometimes midsentence. Don't worry about the grammar, it's about praise!

    ReplyDelete